Hi friends,

sorry for writing in English, but I'm afraid my Polish is not enough to make me understand here :)

So, as I wrote on the title, I'm planning a (Wien - Bratislava) Budapest - Cracow bike trip this summer, and I expect Slovakia to be the main attraction :)

Unfortunately I'm founding some problems with the route planning between Budapest and Cracow. I found a gpx file of the "Amber trail", but it leads very often through main roads, which I'd like to avoid...

Does anyone got any suggestion which way I should go, and what to visit on the road?

I've got a MTB, but I'd like to avoid heavy and difficult trails. I plan up to 100 km per day.

If you want to ride with me or meet me on the road, you are welcome! I enjoy meeting new people and receiving tips on what to eat or drink :D

Cheers
10.07.2016 - 19:45:32
Hi mybeer can you post what is meant by "Amber trail" so we have some idea roughly which direction you would like to take? Bratislava – Budapest is pretty straightforward (I live very close to the route) but then there are many possible variations.
10.07.2016 - 23:25:46
Hi Pali!

Here you can find the amber trail I found: http://it.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=1236322

From Bratislava to Budapest I bet it's a great feeling to ride along the Danube. Would you suggest me the north or the south side?
11.07.2016 - 00:10:12
Between Hainburg and Bratislava I would suggest rather south route because in the north there is detour to this bridge over Morava/March river also in the south you can better avoid roads shared with cars.

I am not certain if you have plenty of time to visit the city of Bratislava but if you need to find more fluid path then visit the place where the upper dam on the Danube was erected (interesting modern art gallery there) stay in the south till Gabčíkovo. Roughly you would follow this route I did some time ago, probably you would prefer to stay on the side dam all along the Danube where is good asphalt surface and only cars with special permit are allowed.

If you would be interested to visit distributaries of Danube (so called inland Danube delta) then this route is tested as one where you can pass probably with dry feet. See this thread for photos and more information. Just in high summer try to avoid it in the very evening or you will be eaten by mosquitos...

During weekend fantastic food here with a small detour. https://www.facebook.com/hullamcsarda/
Maybe they are opened whole week during summer but you better check.

Then you would continue on the north shore of Danube, there is marked trail all along to Budapest with only very small part on a road shared with cars. Bratislava - Komárno is described in this article, there are many photos there, the author had a problem with gravel roads on his road bike.

Most of it is covered here: https://www.bikemap.net/en/official/143934-medzinarodna-dunajska-cyklisticka-cesta-slovensko/

Budapest – Krakow will ba another post, I need to run now, maybe somebody can suggest something or I will come back here in the evening.
11.07.2016 - 06:30:59
Great! I should definitely go to the upper dam and the delta! Your dry route will help me a lot :D

Can't wait for your Budapest-Krakow suggestions ;)
12.07.2016 - 00:23:46
mybeer Can you elaborate a bit on what kind of routes would you prefer to ride? I looked now on the original "Amber trail" and it goes completely on the 1st class main roads which I would avoid if anyhow possible.

What roads do you prefer? Asphalt? Gravel? What climbs? (At least one high pass you need to climb along the route to Krakow).

It depends I think on how much load do you carry and if you can climb with it or not. E.g. there is very nice gravel route through this pass but I am not sure if you would be able to make it. If not, then you would use Donovaly pass nearby instead. Donovaly route however has a great advantage because it will lead you to the new cycling route from Korytnica to Ružomberok which could be one of the highlights of the whole track. See the videos in the link.

So let me know your thoughts and I can add some advice.
12.07.2016 - 11:12:37
That's the point! The routes I found so far are perfect for a motorcycle or a car...definitely not for a bike.

I'm not afraid of gravel roads, and I'm aware I'll have to climb a little bit. But as it is my first long trip, let's keep it as easy as possible. Even if hard high passes wouldn't be a big problem for me for a one day trip, I don't really know how I would manage them after a week of riding.

The korytnica route seems to be very nice!
When checking the Europe cycling map, the Slovakian network seems to be very developed, compared to other countries. I'd like to experience it as more as I can!
12.07.2016 - 12:14:56
Check the attached first part of the route from Budapest. I recommend http://mtbmap.cz as a good resource for routing – purple dots mark cyclist trails so you can make your own alterations.

I've tried to select scenic areas and possibly avoid main roads. Banská Štiavnica was once second largest city of Hungarian kingdom (silver mining industry) with incredible technical and architecture heritage. Don't miss it out :)

Let me know what you think.
12.07.2016 - 13:45:13
I checked the roads with google street view, and it's exactly the kind of roads I expected to find :D

I really appreciate tips like the dam, or Banska Stiavnica, and that website with the maps is amazing!

Next stop? Donovaly - Korytnica - Ruzomberok?
12.07.2016 - 15:20:53
Yes you may try this however the avalanche of cars on Donovaly pass is not very nice. I rode some time ago an alternative which looks like the route I am sending in GPX file. It is of course harder but doable. The mountain ridge close to Donovaly has many meadows and great views so it is for sure worth it.

Banská Bystrica is a large town with nice renaissance and gothic centre. Don't miss rare wooden church in Hronsek. Baláže is a war memorial where nazi soldiers killed most of inhabitants and burned down the village as a revenge for helping the insurgents.
12.07.2016 - 15:35:11
Great, now it should be easier. The new Korytnica to Ružomberok route, then the 006 until Namestovo, and form Bobrov to Poland along the Amber Trail, (AT on mtbmap).

Would you suggest me any detours in that area? Or maybe another, more interesting route to Namestovo?
12.07.2016 - 16:07:34
I wouldn't like to ride the main road Ružomberok – Námestovo due to heavy lorry traffic. I would take: Ružomberok – Lúčky – Pokryváč – Pribiš – Trstená and then use the new and beautiful cycling trail Trstená – Nowy Targ.

Everything depends on how much power you will still have at that point but the proposed route is more scenic and with little traffic (except the main road along river Orava).

I rode also the alternative Malatiná – Veľké Borové – Huty – Zuberec – Oravice – Vitanová which is maybe even more rewarding but also demanding.
12.07.2016 - 16:57:49
Yes, the Ružomberok – Lúčky – Pokryváč – Pribiš – Trstená solution makes more sense, even if that main road between Horna Lehota and Trstena can be scary...

At that point I think I won't be able to ride the Malatiná – Veľké Borové – Huty – Zuberec – Oravice – Vitanová :D

Trstena - Nowy Targ: Would be a pity not to go this way, but I can have problems to get away from Nowy Targ... I don't see any cycling routes there. So I'll have to think if going that way, or going straight ahead to Jablonka, or maybe Oravska priehrada, and then Bobrov.

Pali, thank you very much! Your help is priceless! You said you live near the Danube; if we'll meet you have a bear from me! Or a lunch at Hullam Csadra ;)

I'll contact you if I'll have more questions.

Cheers ;)
12.07.2016 - 17:45:12
Good luck and keep in touch :y:
12.07.2016 - 18:47:09
keyboard_arrow_up